Quick Slants: Preseason Week 2 @ Pittsburgh
Here’s a look at some of my quick reactions from today’s game @ Pittsburgh:
- The biggest story of the game of course is Jordy Nelson. Nelson reportedly has a Torn ACL and will almost surely be done for the year. A brutally tough blow for the Packers but an incredible opportunity for Devante Adams, Jeff Janis and Ty Montgomery. Next man up
- In addition, Aaron Rodgers was icing his arm, TJ Lang likely has a concussion, Damarious Randall was carted off with an injury (he did come back in the game), Adrian Hubbard was carted off, Datone Jones limped off and there were rumblings of a Scott Tolzien injury… Completely worth it for a preseason game, right?
- The Don Barclay at LT experiment needs to be officially over. He was the most at fault for the safety on Rodgers and also allowed a sack later in the game on Scott Tolzien (he also had a holding call late in the first half)
- Josh Sitton dominated on the first drive of the game. Cam Heyward is a big time defensive lineman and Sitton had his way with him the entire drive
- Tim Masthay continues to struggle & with roster spots open, it is time to bring in some more competition
- It’s completely unacceptable for the Steelers to have the turf in that condition. This is the NFL, you should have one of the top 32 grounds crews in the world
- Scott Tolzien is really looking impressive so far this preseason. He’s taken the proverbial step
- For those in the Green Bay market, Olivia Harlan is a joy to watch on the sidelines: Smart, well spoken and has the NFL pedigree. There should be big things in her future.
- Damarious Randall had a nice debut, picking off a pass while covering Martavis Bryant in the 3rd quarter. Incredibly encouraging to see three rookie corners showing so much potential
- LaDarius Gunter continues to push for
a roster spot serious playing time. He has put two games of really, really good tape together
- The same could be said for Ripkowski. He’s been a terror on Special Teams
- Clinton-Dix’s tackling issues reared their ugly head again, that needs to get fixed fast
- Lacy has 6 carries for 66 yards and a touchdown so far this preseason. He looks to be in midseason form and should only get 3-4 more touches the rest of the preseason
- Two drops for Alonzo Harris really hurts his stock
- The Packers offensive line was a mess for the majority of the day. Rodgers, Tolzien and Hundley all had time getting adequate time to throw the football
- I know that Montgomery has had some issues with double catching kickoffs but very interesting that Janis was ahead of him on the PR depth chart today
- Rollins came back to earth a bit today, allowing a long catch to Sammie Coates (something that reared it’s ugly head in practice this week as well)
- Jayrone Elliott continues to impress this preseason. The Packers should have great depth at OLB with Elliott and Mulumba both showing up big this preseason
- Oh by the way, the Packers lost the game.